Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Photographs and movies

I had a great week here in
Chalon sur Saone this week!
I have recently learned that
Chalon is in deed the city
where the camera was invented,
which is ironic, because I just
came from Lyon where the first
movie or film was created. The
irony is that things, as film,
always seemed to be moving and
although there are difficult times
in the movie, everything works out
in a happy great story (I will share
this happy ending to Lyon in a moment),
and like a picture, Chalon
seems to be never moving BUT as you
examine closely there are great things
commonly over looked.
We were able to fix a baptismal date
with our ami Pierre this week and it
scheduled for the 9th of May, but I
think that will likely change for a
couple of weeks later!
We were actually planning on fixing
another baptismal date this week with a
cousin of the Tongan family who is also
a professional rugby player and whose
girlfriend is a member in Tonga. As
we retaught the importance of authority
on this earth and about baptism and
looked at me and said, "but I was already
baptized," a statement that I hear almost
every week, because people do not
understand the need for correct baptism.
So I said, "yes, but in which church
and with what authority?" He than replied,
"when I was 13, by my cousin, in
your church!" haha, it was so great!
Our ami has already received the first
saving ordinance on earth! Now we are
going to start helping him better
understand this authority and help him
get ready for a temple marriage he
mentioned wanting to have one day
with his girlfriend!
I had mentioned the happy ending to
a movie a little earlier. Well, this is a
happy ending for my stay in Lyon.
Our Jewish investigator Landry,
whom I had been teaching for a couple
of months had decided to be baptized
the night before I left Lyons, and
just this last Saturday, the mission
President gave me permission to go
back to Lyons to see his baptism!
It was one of the most amazing baptisms
I have ever seen! He even invited
five of his way cool friends to
watch and talk with us afterward!
Afterward, he came up and told me
that he wants to serve a mission in
a year when he will be eligible too!
I can't believe it! It was one of
the most amazing things I had ever
heard! I love the chance I have to
be here and work simply as a tool in
the Lord's hands, but yet still
receiving all of these amazing blessings!
This upcoming week should also go well.
I will be in Dijon tomorrow for
interviews and then this week we have
a bunch of rendez-vous already planned.
I am stoked to see all the great miracles
that will be continued to be poured out
in the upcoming weeks!
Have a great week and
know that I am thinking and praying for you!

Clayton Henderson Welch

1 comment:

mamasteph said...

I love his analogy with the happy ending! I am so impressed with all he has done! He is AWESOME!!!