Wednesday, April 15, 2009

A Tuesday email...but a member phone call to keep us from worrying; what a good guy!

As a preface to his email we
wanted to share the story of
how great it is to have a
missionary son that knows he has
a totally neurotic mother who
worries. Because of this he had
his friend/new member the "Mormon
Monk" phone us when he was unable
to send an email on Monday due to
the holiday. We were on the road .
between Utah and Minnesota, but we
had Stephanie checking email for us
all day. The Mom was worried but the Dad
kept reassuring that all was well.
I was worried because if someone tried
to call us about him we weren't home.
So when we returned to Marshall at
12:45am we saw there were messages from
unknown numbers. Worried we listened.
The first French message was from the
Brother Monk. He said he had a message
but he would call back. Okay, I paniced!
Thankfully the next message was from him
saying all was well and Elder Bubba didn't
want us to worry, he was "excellent."
I was soooooo grateful for a missionary
who kknew I would be sick with worry so
he sent a message. What a relief!
So we were pleasantly surprised the next
day when we received this email.
Gotta love that guy:)


Bonjour
I am doing so great!
I am very sorry that I am writing a
little late; it is Tuesday and I am
actually here in Dijon, France, yes,
home of the mustard! I hope you got
the message I had a member asked to
send you yesterday. Apparently the
day after Easter is a huge holiday
in France and literally everything
was closed, including all of the email
places. But, you said that you were
driving back yesterday, so you may
not even have noticed.

I am sorry to hear that grandpops isn't
doing very well. If you could let him
know I am praying for him and that
I love him tons that would be great!
everyone looks great and way happy!
I had a great Easter week here in France.
It truly is a blessing to spend these
holidays that we celebrate in remembrance
of our savior actually entirely
devoted to him. Although holidays aren't
as recognizably different than any
other day of the week, I was able to feel
a joy, and a love from others around
me as people were able to either directly
or indirectly think of the
resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Last week for preparation day I was able
to spend the day in Lyon, visiting the
old city of Lyon; I was able to see a
couple of cathedrals and spend some time
with some really great missionaries.
Throughout the week, we were able to
find two new amis to teach, and I feel
that the Lord is literally directed the
work here. Although it is a little
different that my former area, I know
that there are those ready to accept the
gospel in Chalon. My companion and I
are also finding ways to make everyday
enjoyable and we are having a great time!
My new companion is from Draper, Utah.
He has been out about 6 months and this
is his second city. He is way into the
outdoors and we have tons in common.
This is honestly one of my funnest
transfers yet!
We had zone conference last Friday, so
we spent Thursday afternoon traveling by
train to Lausanne, Switzerland, and then
Friday morning on to Yverdon where we
had our conference. We usually have
two zones together for conference, but
we had three at this last one, so there
about 20 missionaries there. We talked
a lot about obedience, and the importance
of following the spirit. It was a great
conference and I learned tons. I really
enjoyed the trip as well. I love the
chance I have to ride on trains through
the Swiss and french mountains. The
Lord truly is an artist, as this earth
is the greatest and most beautiful
creation there is.
Easter day itself was good. I was
surprised at how small the branch was,
but there was a great spirit, and that
is what really matters. I was able to
translate for the Tongans, which is always
really fun. I am always surprised
about the progress I have made in the
French language.
After church we had a couple of meetings,
and then we went to a members for lunch,
and we actually had salmon which was way
good! We also had like 4 others courses,
which is typical at every meal. We had
salmon, then potatoes, then salad,then pizza,
then cheese and bread, and then desert.
It was way good. We then drove home, had
our weekly planning and had dinner.
It was a really good Easter.
For preperation day I had the great
privilege`of going to the other
large monastery here in France.
I went with the mormon monk and
one of our amis from Lyon who will
be baptised the 25th, to a monastery
of about 65 catholic monks and 20 nuns.
We went to mass with them, ate with
them, and then just hung out and
talked about life. I am always so
surprised with the generosity and
their openness and the desire to
always learn more; they are a great
example to me and have many Christlike
attributes that I would like to emulate.
This morning we had our district
meeting, we do them combined and the
power was out in the church here in
Dijon, and, seeing how we were planning
on watching conference, we had to change
plans. Myself and the other district
leader taught about members and
missionaries and the need for unity.
I feel it went very well.
Right now I am just here in Dijon
for an exchange with the zone leader
so I will be here until tomorrow.
The rest of the week should be great,
although we cont have to many trips
planned. We do have a bunch of lessons
already planned though, and I am very
excited for the great week we will have!

Have a great week and find something
new to do everyday!

Elder Clayton

2 comments:

mamasteph said...

It's nice that he was concerned enough to have someone call! He really is a good guy! It sounds like his week was awesome! I'm glad we still got to hear from him!

Biggie T said...

I'm so glad he was concerned enough to know we would be worried if we didn't hear from him. I knew there had to be a good reason from not emailing.