Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Zone Leader

This week was pretty good.  In regards to your questions:
Do most Swiss travel
via public transportation
or have their own cars?


Most people take trains
everywhere.
But there are quite a few carsin the cities.
The bus system is
very clean and very efficient.
Is it a social status to have a car there? Yes.

You know if someone is rich if they have a car.
And you know someone is really
rich if they own
their own house.

So how is it going trying to find French

speakers instead of German?

It is going well. After talking to my mission

president about it we havedecided that any
time that both of us are trying to
find people,
i.e. knocking doors or talking to people in
the road, we will do an
exchange.
It has worked out really well and I have learned
a little German
while doing it.
Nothing beyond a contact
about the gospel though.

Any success
yet or is it too early to tell?
There is a little success. We had an ami come
to
church, his name is Nimaga, and he will be asked
to be baptism this
Wednesday.
I am almost positive he will be baptized by
the end of the year.


So now, the moment I know you have been waiting for:
Is Elder Welch staying or
going?
Well, this morning we received calls and what
President Peterson said I
was not expecting at all.
I am being transferred. I am going to Lyon!
The
biggest city in the mission to be in the highest
baptizingward in our mission.
Not only that
but I am going to be a zone leader.
That is what was so shocking.

I am only on my sixth transfer. I am not going to lie.
I feel really
inadequate for this calling. As far as I know,
the next youngest
missionary who is a zone leader in our
mission is on his 11th transfer. I will
be serving with
Elder Black though, who is a really good missionary
who speaks
very well (he has had three
French companions). I think we will probably
speak
French all the time.
But I really am nervous for this calling. I know
"whom
the Lord calls, he qualifies,"
but I still can't help but think that I am not
ready.
But, all will be well. Maybe just pray to give me
strength and patience
during these next couple of weeks.
I really am not that worried, but it is just
shocking for me.
I know I will be OK.
I am stoked to be in Lyon for Christmas.

It is a way big city with a subway and everything.
I am stoked! My new address
is:

Elder Clayton H. Welch
Les Missionnaires
138, rue Dedieu
F-69100 Villeurbanne
FRANCE


But I will be going to Lyon on Wednesday.
Being a zone leader I will be going
to Geneva 2 times
a transfer for "zone leader council" which will be a cool

experience.This week I hit 9 months!
It crazy how fast time flies.
But I can't tell you
how much fun I am having. I have grown
so much and I know that I will grow

enormously in the upcoming weeks.
But thanks for all of the birthday wishes. I appreciate them.
I don't know what
I have planned for thanksgiving, but I am sure
we will get a Turkey Sub or
something.
As for a Christmas list, maybe just a new suit.
Mine are both still a little

lose so I wouldn't mind a smaller french one.
But that wont be for a month or
so.
What do YOU want for Christmas from France?

Thank you for all you do. I am truly grateful for all that you do.

Your thankful son,
Elder Clayton H. Welch

2 comments:

mamasteph said...

We are so darn proud of him! It's awesome that he is already a zone leader---I know he is a great leader and that all of his fellow missionaries will be lucky to have his example to follow! I sure do miss him though!

Brent and Mary Rose said...

Lets get ready for those zone leader blessings.. just teasin! What an honor! He is such an amazing person and I am not suprised at all that they have noticed it as well!